Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Nicole Atkins and Congressman Mike Doyle (D-PA)

Nicole: what made you a champion of community radio?

Mike Doyle: there is a lot of consolidation in radio now, low-power radio gives people a voice, lets you discuss local issues, low power radio was critical during Hurricane Katrina, and all the arguments against it are bogus. interference argument has been debunked.


Nicole: Mike wanted me to ask you, what's up with you and GirlTalk?

Doyle: He's a Pittsburgh boy, so I have his back. I met Greg Gillis right after Nightripper came out...I admit he samples my favorite band a lot, Earth, Wind and Fire...the way the law is structured today if he had to get clearances from the people holding the copyrights, and i think his work is transformative, what's the process to compensate 300 artists where you've sampled three seconds of each song...as I said, he's a Pittsburgh guy and we have to stick up for each other

take time at the local level to contact your representative in Congress

Nicole: The last think I want to ask you is your thoughts on health care

Doyle: If I were the benevolent dictator of this system we would have had a single payer system yesterday. most areas of the country only have one or two or three insurance companies, that's not competition

No comments:

Post a Comment